When using Twitter as a business tool, who you are following is extremely important. These users will be made up of clients, customers, influential people, thought leaders etc. Although following users seems simple, it’s very important to follow the right people when building up a high quality Twitter community. Following users helps build up a relationship that could be damaged by a number of things, one of which being accidentally unfollowing them.
When unfollowing a large amount of people at once you could select one of these important users by mistake. Now with SocialBro’s “Whitelist” feature, you can protect these important friends by adding them to your whitelist so that they cannot be unfollowed accidentally.
Similarly there is also a “Blacklist” to prevent you from following users who you do not wish to, such as those you have already unfollowed or those users who have automatically followed then unfollowed you.
How to add people to your whitelist
1. Think about which category of users you want to add to your whitelist, for example:
- Influential people you are following
- Thought leaders
To select the influential people you are following, use the widget on your dashboard:
To use a tag you have already created e.g. for customers or clients, select the tag from the tag menu:
To select a group of users from a list or to import clients from a text file, select “Your Twitter lists”, “Other Twitter lists” or “Text file” from the “Tools” section via the top navigation bar. Then select or enter the name of a list or locate the text file on your computer (making sure it has one Twitter handle per line).
You can also filter within your community for example to find potential customers, etc.
2. When you have the desired users on your community area, either drag and drop a box over multiple users or select some individually.
3. Then select “add to whitelist” from the bottom navigation bar.
You will then see a padlock icon on these users’ profiles.
4. Now when in Follow Mode, you can see which users are on your whitelist and cannot be unfollowed
To remove users from your whitelist, select the user and then choose “remove from whitelist” from the bottom navigation bar.
To add users to your blacklist
1. There could be a number of reasons for wanting to make sure you do not accidentally follow someone including:
- You have unfollowed them and do not wish to follow them again in the future
- They are a spammer
- They have automatically followed then unfollowed you
2. When cleaning up your Twitter community and unfollowing users you can choose to add them to your blacklist so that you will not accidently follow them again in the future. Either select users individually or drag and drop a box over multiple users and then select “add to blacklist” from the bottom navigation bar.
3. When looking for users who have automatically followed then unfollowed you in an attempt to increase the size of their community, you can select recent unfollows from your dashboard and then repeat step 2.
4. You can also look for people who have unfollowed you in the past by selecting recent unfollows from the dashboard and then using the calendar on the top right to select the desired time span, e.g people who have unfollowed you in the past 3 months.
To remove users from your blacklist select the user and then choose “Remove from blacklist” from the bottom navigation bar.
The following symbol will appear in the profiles of the users in your blacklist:
You can view the members of your whitelist and blacklist at any time by selecting them from the sources menu.